Bakers upgrades to new HP Indigo 6K
Baker Labels have been digitally printing labels with HP since 2006. This latest investment in the HP Indigo 6k will be the 9th HP press purchased by Steve Baker since then. The acquisition is an upgrade to the HP Indigo WS6800 purchased in 2014 and represents Bakers’ continued trust in the innovation and quality of the Indigo presses.
In preparation for the installation, the digital area had to have a major shuffle around to make space for the incoming larger press with ILP and to remove the outgoing HP Indigo. The experienced teams from Bakers and HP worked efficiently over several days to ensure that the disruption to production was kept to a minimum.
Digitally Printing Labels at Bakers
The digital department currently boasts 3 HP Indigo presses and 2 Screen Inkjets. In addition, the flexible packaging division BakPac hosts an HP indigo 20k press. A flexographic Nilpeter FB3 completes the fleet of reel to reel label presses.
Technical changes to the upgrade from the WS6800
Spot Master and the new Spectrophotometer
• Faster time-to-colour and automated colour-matching process guarantee colour consistency and repeatability using HP Indigo Spot Master and other automated colour calibrations.
• On the fly job colour scorecard and colour performance reports
• Up to X4 faster colour calibration while printing based on higher frequency Spectrophotometer.
New HP Production Pro DFEs
• Faster RIP engine ~ 25% improvement
• Integrated variable data engine
• Web-based user interface allowing access to the DFE from any computer on the network without the need to install multiple ‘clients’
Addition of ILP
• Enables easy on-demand treatment of substrates.
• Print on nearly any substrate.
• Eliminates the need for additional processes.
• Simplify inventory management.
• No “expiration date” as in pre-primed material.
Quote from Peter Jolly UK & Ireland Manager HP Indigo
“We are delighted to continue our long-standing partnership with Baker Labels. For many years Baker have been early engagers in HP Indigo technology, for example being one of the first label-based printing companies to install an HP Indigo 20000 flexible packaging press; and now continuing that investment in innovation with HP Indigo 6K with inline primer. What is always an added bonus is working with Baker Labels team is always such a pleasure. A brilliantly proactive and positive team, led from the front by Steve Baker.”
Quote from Steve Baker, Managing Director
“This latest HP Indigo 6k press with ILP was a natural progression as we needed to update our original 6800. It’s our first to include an in-line primer unit – we currently coat our materials offline, so this gives us a few more options. We have a policy of ensuring our staff have the best equipment to produce top quality work with the least number of issues. This install will ensure the digital division is covered for a few more years.”
Get a Quote for Labels
Do you need labels? You can use our enquiry form to provide us with details of your label requirements and we’ll be in touch to get your quote to you.